Do you ever feel like you’re running around with your head cut off and it just doesn’t stop? That’s how I’ve felt this past month, which is why you haven’t seen any posts in awhile. This past month was nothing but crazy, I returned to work full time. Having two kids and working is a whole lot different than one. I’ve just been overwhelmed to say the least and when I feel overwhelmed, I’m unorganized, which I don’t like. Something needed to change and today I’m going to share the small changes made that made a world of a difference.
- Set the coffee maker the night before. We desperately need our morning coffee, especially with a baby who’s not sleeping through the night and a toddler who will occasionally wake up in the middle of the night. Our coffee maker has a programmer but I never took the time to use it and it dawned on me that it’s one less thing to do in the morning. Plus, who doesn’t like waking up to a fresh pot of coffee already to go! (Lucky you if you don’t need coffee in the morning #futuregoal)
- Meal Delivery. We started using Gobble. If you haven’t heard of it, it’s awesome. It’s meals delivered to you that take 10 minutes or less to make. They are healthy and proportioned appropriately. We have selected to have 6 meals delivered a week which breaks down to 3 meals a week, 2 meals for each person. There’s an option for a meal plan for a family of 4 but 2 works for us right now because me and my husband both get good amount and there’s some for our daughter too. It costs $11.95 per meal including tax and delivery. The meals are delicious. I really didn’t expect them to taste this good. Our meal planning process has saved a ton of time because three meals for the week are already picked out for us. Delivery is only available in California, Nevada, and Washington right now but I definitely see this going nationwide soon.
- Pick-up the night before. Do the dishes once dinner is over, put the kids toys away before they go to bed. It’s the small things that help and make for an easier morning.
- Find ‘Me’ time. Find or do something that will allow you to decompress or escape for just a little bit. For me, working out helps me a lot. I also like to unwind by watching a show after the kids have gone to bed.
- Prioritize. Do the important things first. For me, prioritizing takes practice. Do I need to make sure our house is organized before we leave every time? No…but it makes me feel better 😉 The question I started asking myself to help with prioritizing is “Does this need to be done right now?”
- Use a Planner or Journal. Yes we live in a digital world where our lives are consumed by apps. Don’t get me wrong, I love my apps however I don’t like being on my phone all day everyday and if I don’t write it down I will forget it. Planning out my day & week by the hour helped minimize the overwhelming feeling because I had a plan. Make a plan and work your plan. I actually created my own planner after getting tired of endlessly searching for a planner that I liked (stay tuned, details coming soon on how you can get your hands on one!)
These six easy steps can get you organized in no time and the feeling of overwhelm will diminish and you will find yourself more productive and efficient. Start with just one item on this list and you will be on your way. It’s the small things day-to-day make a difference.
What do you do when you start to feel overwhelmed?