Sometimes in life you need to upgrade. The current system isn’t working out and you’re ready for a change.
That’s how I felt about our spice drawer. I did this post last year how to organize your spices, while it did its job, something wasn’t working out and needed to change. After seeing some inspiring photos of some spices, I realized it was the jars they were in. None of them were consistent and all different sizes. Plus they were round containers which I’ve learned don’t maximize the space as well as square ones do.
So I set out to find spices that I liked and had a modern appeal to them. After narrowing it down to a few sets, I decided on a set that had great reviews.
After I received the new set, I was on my way to upgrading our spice drawer to something we enjoyed.
Having an organized spice rack or drawer will keep you happy and here’s why. When you search for spices, you’ll be happy with what you are looking at and it won’t take as long to find it.
Here’s how you can organize your spice drawer or upgrade it.
1. Count the number of spices you have. This will give you an idea of how many jars you will need.
2. Search for new jars. Amazon or The Container Store have great selections. Here’s the one we chose. Make sure to consider the type of label you want to use because many come with them.
3. Transfer of spices. Once you receive or buy the new jars, empty out your current spice space and start sorting. I was surprised during this process how we had spices that have NEVER been opened. Our previous system never forced us to see what was actually being used which is why it’s nice to transfer to jars to see what you actually use. Line up all the new spice jars and the old ones behind them. Then start the transferring process. When you’re transferring, take the old spice jar and pour it into the new one. When you’re done with that step, put the old spice jar behind the new one. You’ll be working line an assembly line, don’t worry about labeling yet.
4. Label. Once the transfer is complete, then start labeling. Some sets come with labels, ours came with chalk labels. Others come with pre-typed labels, you can always hand write labels on the jars with a sharpie marker.
5. Alphabetize. Now that you’re jars are labeled, it’s time to put them back. The best way to do this is by alphabetizing. I’ve tried doing it by the most frequently used but it actually ended up taking more time to find it.
Now you should have beautifully organized spice jars 🙂 Here’s how ours looks.
Is there a space you’ve upgraded in your home because it wasn’t working out? What did you do?