We have officially reached the final week of the home organization challenge!! Whoo Hoo!! Can you believe it?! I know I can’t, I remember it like it was yesterday.
When this challenge first started, I remember thinking to myself, our third child could or couldn’t be born by the time this challenge ends. The jury is still out on that one, only time will tell but it shows you how fast time flies.
Laundry was selected last for a reason, it’s typically the least favorite things people like to do. While some would argue it’s better to do something you least like first to get it out of the way, I think it’s better to build momentum so when you get to the end of something you are ready to finish it.
Laundry set-up can be a little tricky because there are a variety of ways to do things. When do it is one thing you will have to figure out and how to organize it is another thing you have to figure out.
There are two different methods of doing laundry:
- Do a load a day
- Pick a day and do it all
I personally prefer the second option because I love batch processing and find it extremely effective, however, you have to pick a method that works best for you and your family.
The set-up consists of the following:
- Keeping hampers in each room
- Keeping hampers in the laundry room
For us, we keep hampers in each room because we don’t have a laundry room, our laundry is in the garage. In our bedroom, we have a hamper that has two dividers. One is for colors and the other is for whites. This helps save some time when it comes to sorting.
Here’s how you can get your laundry organized:
- Pick a method that will work for you. This might include testing out a few methods to see which one works best for you.
- Chose how you want to organize your hampers. If you have a dedicated space for your laundry, keeping it all stored here can be beneficial.
- Use consistent bins to keep all of your supplies together. Having items stored in a bin will give you an organized look and feel.
- Create a system for lost socks. There are many methods and techniques out there to try to keep socks together but there’s always some sock that falls up short. Keep all the lost socks together in one place, this will help pair them when the missing one shows up. If you’ve gone through a few weeks of laundry and the missing sock doesn’t show up, get rid of it.
- Have multiple laundry baskets. Having more than one laundry basket will make it easier to manage laundry because you won’t be waiting for a basket to become available.
- Set a timer when it comes to folding laundry. This might sound extreme but it will help keep you focused. I know I can be easily distracted when it comes to folding laundry.
*affiliate links used, see full disclosure here
Setting up a good system for laundry will help keep you motivated and make it less dreadful.
Thank you so much for being a part of the Home Challenge. I hope you have found it beneficial and have become more organized.